Sunday, May 07, 2006

[poem] Bolinao Vignettes 1: Lolo Perting, Andoy Castellano, 7 May 2006

Bolinao Vignettes 1: Lolo Perting
Andoy Castellano, 7 May 2006

Lolo Perting died ages ago (I don't remember when)
He's my lola's cousin on this side
and his wife Lola Idiong
(who was my lola's cousin on the other side)
greeting everyone who walked by the busy street
It was a small town back then

A Knight of Columbus
he lived a short walk form the church and plaza
in a house of two stories
with two rocking chais on the veranda fronting the street
A hearty laughter Lolo Perting had
and wearing a pith helmet wherever he went
And I remember he had two children
proudly smiling from photographs prominently displayed
Lived long he did

Visiting, I remember I read there old magazines
of pre-Martial Law rallies on Mendiola
where a student from Philippine Science died

Once there was that time Lolo Perting
brought me along fishing one night
We walked from Luciente to Picocobuan,
but not to the wharf and breakwater
instead, we turned at the road to Guiguiwanen
past the cemetary,
and on past deserted lots, with tall grass and trees
and isolated tombstones
and on down a steep slope to a fishing village of huts on stilts

Now, years after, of the house once so clean and tidy
only the posts stand
And of the fishing village on the dusty road
dilapidated empty huts remain on an quiet cove
Lolo Perting had two children
I never saw them save from pictures framed
and fading long before the rocking chairs stopped
their gentle creaking

--
--andoy
7 May 2006

No comments: