Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Gandalf

I first heard of Gandalf during the summer term after my first year. My friend Glenn narrated the story of the "Lord of the Rings" and the "Silmarillion" one evening while we were sitting in the field in front of Men's Dorm.

After that, I borrowed "The Lord of the Rings" from the library, and kept on borrowing it and re-reading the novel. When Unwin re-released the book, I was able to buy my own copy of the novel. Sad to say, the Unwin copies I owned got lost because some friends borrowed and did not return them. There was one volume, though, Volume III Return of the King, which another friend borrowed and replaced with a different (not Unwin) reprinting. That particular volume, I still have with me. And it has two bookmarkers: a bus ticket to Los Banos, and a Summer 1981 Registration Form (also called Form 5).

--andoy
30 December 2004

No comments: