Sunday, July 17, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Last Saturday, I picked up my copy of the latest Harry Potter book before we (me and my family) went to Sta. Lucia to watch a movie, "Fantastic Four".

Unless the author changes her mind, this will be the penultimate installment of the Harry Potter series. As such, I can say that it delivers. It answers several questions: How can you kill Voldemort? What was the Riddle diary (in "Chamber of Secrets") all about? How can Professor Snape get back to the Death Eaters and report on them? Who takes over as Gryffindor Quidditch captain? Why was Tom Riddle born in an orphanage? How can Harry train to become an Auror? These set the stage for the next (and last) book of the series.

The larger questions remain, however. And these include new questions, like: "Who is 'R.A.B.'?"; and "Will Harry Potter kill Voldemort?"

It's a good, easy read, with almost an emphasis on simplification. J.K.Rowling's style is not like Asimov who ties up everything too nicely. Rowling leaves some loose ends which are self-explanatory. She also leaves some untied for the reader to review earlier books and to serve as teasers for succeeding books.

I think I'll be re-reading Harry Potter 1-6 for the next year or two, until the last one comes along.

--andoy
18 July 2005

No comments: